What We Did
Background: When researching their ancestors, people often discover that one or more of them hailed from somewhere with an improbable, unfortunate or downright embarrassing place-name.
We polled findmypast users to find the “most embarrasing or unfortunate place-name” from which it was possible to hail.
The answer in the U.S. was Toad Suck (Arkansas); in the UK, Shitterton (Devon).
“Thanks for a great job. The U.S. campaign got fantastic pick-up. The place-names story really went viral. Our traffic grew nearly 600%. ”
– Carolynne Bull-Edwards, Head of PR, Brightsolid (findmypast.com)
“Shitterton comes on top of list of Britain’s worst place names, including Pratts Bottom, Crapstone and Slag Lane… ”
– Daily Mail
- AFP/Agence France Presse
- Yahoo News (“most shared” story)
- The Huffington Post; New York Daily News; Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Daily Mail; Sky News; Sydney Morning Herald, Die Welt
And for the UK story:
- The Press Association; UPI
- The Times
- The Sun, The Mirror, The Daily Star
- The Daily Mail, The Daily Express
- Metro, The Evening Standard, The Scotsman
- The BBC; MSN